One of the best ways to build core muscle strength is through body weight training.
What’s great about using your own body weight is that you can do it from anywhere.
Common Body Weight Exercises
- Push-ups: Vary the height of your feet to increase resistance.
- Dips: Use two chairs and with your feet on one chair and your palms on the other.
- Shoulder press: Do a hand stand next to a wall and use the wall as support as you go up and down.
- Pull ups/ chin ups: You can get a cheap door frame pull up bar or use any suspended bar like a neighborhood jungle gym.
- Squats: Squats can be done with just your body weight, but made more difficult by holding things like water jugs while doing them.
- Lunges: Again hold objects to make them more difficult.
You will only get so big with body weight training, so at some point weights will be needed to bulk up more.
Your muscles get big when they are required to lift more weight than they normally would be required to lift, so you will have to push them with more weight.
However, body weight workouts are great during times when going to the gym isn’t posible.
Body Weight Training Video
These are exercises that use your own body to create resistance without machines or free weights. This video covers the best exercises to begin with.